Sunday, March 3, 2013

first race of 2013... done!

February 16th, 2013 marked the day for my first official road race of this year.  The MB half Marathon. Two days earlier I travelled to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to get ready to run.  Two lofty days of shopping, dining and a relaxing pedi and I was all ready to go.

I didn't know too much about the Myrtle Beach marathon races other than they raise money for endangered animals and the course was pretty much as flat as it gets.  Luckily, having the two days in town beforehand gave me the opportunity to familiarize myself with the course and attend the race expo.

The night before the race I ate my ritual race dinner and prepped my clothing, shoes, bib and nutrition.  I felt pretty good and hit the pillow pretty early. The alarm went off for 5 a.m. ~~ 6:30 a.m. race start :(
Unfortunately, I think the hustle and bustle of travel hit me that morning.  I woke up with a slight fever and feeling a little squeamish.  Hoping it would pass, I headed out to the shuttle and off to the race start.

By the second mile I knew this wasn't going to be good.  Still feeling sick and cramped I struggled to keep my pace.  At the first water station I decided to drink some water and that was possibly the biggest mistake I made.  The water tasted off, like it was held in the barrels for way too long... I don't take water with me so this was my only source of hydration and it WAS NOT GOOD.

I continued on, counting down each mile.  It seemed like the race went on forever and throughout, I still felt nauseous and weak.  I could not shake the feeling so I just tried to stay focused and run.

I was so happy to see the end coming up.  I desperately tried to do a 2K push but every time I would try to speed up I felt as though I may throw up so I just kept an even pace and prayed for the end.

I crossed the finish line at 1:57:14.  A PR by just seconds, but a PR is a PR, so I'll take it!

All finishers received a cute flip flop medal sporting the tiger mascot.

As a side note, the day after the race I noticed a small welt on the side of my neck.  When I returned home I paid the doctor a visit.  Initially, I was told it was a bug bite but after several more days of pain and increased swelling I went to get a second opinion.  Turns out I have Shingles... something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Two weeks after, I am still in pain and slightly fatigued.  Although, I know I should be resting I have more training to get done.

happy to be done and sitting down with my medal

All in all, I'm so happy that race is over and on to my next.... Around the Bay on March 24th.  I know its a long shot, but I'm really hoping to be fully recovered by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment